10 Top Drawing Tips
With September just around the corner it is time to start thinking about going back to school. I like to think of the fall as a fresh start. It is a time when all the summer activities are over and the weather is turning cooler. Going back to school always means new school supplies. I am re-posting my top ten drawing tips to help you "gear up" for the new season. Botanical artists and natural science illustrators should always go back to the fundamentals of good drawing habits. Here we go!
- Not all pencils are created equal.
- Your sharpener is your new best friend.
- Erasers are not all the same.
- You need to knead your kneaded eraser.
- Apply tone with the side of your pencil.
- Apply detail with the point of your pencil (remember tip #2)
- Always follow contour lines of your subject while shading.
- Tracing vellum comes in handy.
- Squinting is allowed.
- Light advances. Dark recedes.
I will expand upon each of these tips in separate posts.